HND Photography Student

A weblog following my progression towards HND Photography in 2005 & 2006

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Unit 17 - Location shoot

I had decided that the location shoot should take place in Central Manchester.

Only one model for this shoot today, but we're both nervous enough about it. I had originally envisaged placing the models in a particular context for this shoot: mundane activities (shopping, drinking at cafes, looking in shop windows etc) in and around the town centre. The contrasts and apparent absurdities between their look and their situation would be clear.

On the day, the plan changes somewhat. I'm not sure if it's nerves, but I am aware that it is possible to be over-ambitious. It is sometimes better to stick to relatively few ideas and concentrate upon the possibilities within each one. So with this in mind, we initially stick to some alleyways behind the Printworks. We try out various poses, making the most of the surroundings, including graffiti etc, and making use of colour negative and slide films (to be cross-processed).

We later switched to the 'Northern Quarter' and made use of more graffiti and artwork on walls in and around the alleyways. I tried out some Tungsten film with a filtered flash, the idea being to have the model in daylight and the surroundings Blue.

My model attracted plenty of looks from passers-by, but only when we moved between shoots - most of the time we were away from the main thoroughfares. I admire her for her courage.

There were some test shots with digital, and I may post these, because there's no sign of progress at college with the absent staff member.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home