HND Photography Student

A weblog following my progression towards HND Photography in 2005 & 2006

Monday, February 27, 2006

Unit 12 - brainstorming


I'd been nurturing a plan to use the detourned logo opposite for some time now. Anti-globalisation activists had used it ever since the Seattle WTO and Starbucks-trashing that took place. But I've known about the messed-up logo for at least 10 years when Big Brother skateboard magazine featured it as a T-Shirt. So my ideas for this brief seemed like a convenient place to use it. Unit 12 is about advertising photography, specifically food. As I explained some time ago, we have to produce images to be used in a magazine advert with a specific pitch at a particular audience.

So I have 2 bugbears: Starbucks and Fair Trade. With the former, it's their stance vis-a-vis globalisation, labour relations, union-busting etc etc. With the latter, it's the idea that capitalism can be tidied up and made acceptable and 'fair'.

So I have a Starbucks mug that ... um, 'fell off the back of a lorry', so that's ripe for being messed with. But I do need location shots as well as studio shots.

As to how I can twist this idea to be a critique of both Globalisation and Fair Trade - I think that will be tough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home