HND Photography Student

A weblog following my progression towards HND Photography in 2005 & 2006

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Unit 25 location shoot #4: back to Lancs

Good weather means another chance to head out to Lancashire again.

Firstly, I didn't go to Much Hoole. The only proposed Lancs site I didn't get to. Or Clifton Marsh, the landfill where BNFL (now Westinghouse) dumped DU. After I had finished today, I felt that I somehow had enough material. So these places could be left for another time, when the project may continue.

At Inskip, there was a cycle race. After being around the area for a while, it almost seemed like they were doing laps of the old airbase, and they seemed to be anti-clockwise, suggesting they were trying to cast out a demon, almost in the manner of Iain Sinclair's journey around the M25 in 'London Orbital'. I snatched shots of things I'd missed - rusty old gates with MOD warnings at an entrance. Plus, because of a different approach, I came across a church and graveyard with a view of the massive radio masts that the airfield now holds.

Then on very briefly to Weeton Camp, only stopping to snap on of the many MOD gates. This place could have been done on foot, if I'd stayed in the area for a few days like I should have done.

Then a return to the aptly named Springfields. Most of the shots there are retreads, but I also walk up to Salwick Station. I actually walk past a policeman, who's patrolling the fence, but despite having the Lomo to hand, I don't manage to snap him, not feeling fearless enough. Given that it's in the middle of nowhere, I expect it actually provides a handy journey to work for many people who work at Springfields, and little else. Looking out over the bridge, it isn't clear where the train stops to pick up fuel and offload waste for Heysham - perhaps there's a siding out of view?

And then I return to the crossroads - my Floral Skip has had the blooms cruelly cut short. How apt - I get a few shots, thinking it may come in as a contrast with the original shot from a few weeks ago.

Plus more shots of my cross, although it's tricky with the busy traffic that's around and about. Driving down Deepdale Lane later, I discover another cross about a mile down the road.

And then, that's it. Like last time, I shoot fewer shots here than at Heysham, but there will be a lot to choose from in the end. This part of the project is now over, and now it's time to take stock before moving to the final stage of the project.

Shots will be posted to Flickr in due course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home